Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Prepping for Detox

Tomorrow, Monday, April 23, I will start my first-ever detox cleanse.  Yep.  For the next 10 days I'll be changing what I put into my body in the hopes of doing a major reset of both body and mind.  Yowza.

I've seen a major shift in what I put into my body over the last 4 years.  In August of 2008 I decided I was done being Obese.  At 240 pounds (I'm 5'6") and after 2 back surgeries I was threatened with being unable to do something I loved.  Bellydance had become a passion for me over the previous years and my weight was contributing to knee pain that could have sidelined me for good.  You would think the repeated need for back surgery would have done it, right?  Oh well - at least *something* gave me my wake-up call!

Armed with a determination that surprised me, I chose Weight Watchers as my tool for change and was very successful.  After my first 20 or so pounds lost I took on Zumba and pushed myself to, over the period of a year and a half, lose a total of 75 pounds (though about 15 of those have returned this year - ugh).  The changes in my diet felt manageable and not too extreme at the time.  When I look back to my "before" habits now, though, I'm shocked at what was "normal" for me back in the day.

All of that is to say that I'm pretty conscious about what I choose to eat these days.  All the same, I've been feeling like there's more in me than I'm comfortable with in terms of chemicals and such.  I'm also feeling a need to give myself a fresh start after a really rough year of losses (my beloved grandmother passed away in June, and my 101 year old grandfather (other side of the family) followed suit a few months behind her).

Personal reasons aside, I also want to do this cleanse as a way to help educate the women who come to me for health and wellness guidance.  I'll be blogging about my process for all 10 days (trying for a post a day) to give the inside scoop to whomever cares to follow along.

I did go a bit hog-wild this week, eating things I don't normally eat (cookie-dough ice cream...mmm) simply because I knew I'd have to go without for 10 days.  Silly, I know, but what's done is done.

So, what's in store for me tomorrow?  On Day 1 of my cleanse I will cut out the following:
Meat (though I may need the additional protein to keep up with my intense workout schedule)
Caffeine
Refined Sugar
Artificial flavorings, colors, sweeteners

I'll be sharing how I'm doing with the food restrictions, how I'm feeling physically and mentally, and what changes I notice about my body.

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment