Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Detox, Day 5

5:30 pm...Another busy day in that this is my first chance to sit and write.  Day 5 is the beginning of the most restrictive section of the 10 and I'm doing well enough.  I've had plenty of energy so far and my mood was good and stable until about 30 minutes ago.  We came home from shopping (having had to make 2 trips to meet my organic food needs, more on that in a second) and I just had a wave of Not Good.  I can't define it much better than that...not sick, not tired, but Not Good.  I headed for the couch with my trusty glass of ice water, leaving the task of putting the groceries.  Question after question after question about what food goes where and I snapped.  I didn't want to hear about food.  I didn't want to have to Do anything.  I'm hoping that taking a break (I have been working solidly since 7:30 am), having some tea, and drinking my water will help.  We'll see.

I don't have much to say about food today, as I haven't had much.  2 shakes, 2 organic apples.  Yep.  That's it.  Since tonight is Shabbat we'll have an interesting meal.  Bill and the kids will be eating fish (I don't eat fish.  Ever) and potatoes and Brussels sprouts and asiago bread.  Bill will have wine, the kids will have grape juice.  They'll have apple or cherry pie, and vanilla ice cream.  I'll have a plate of sauteed broccoli (organic) and some of the Brussels sprouts (not organic, at either store - do they exhist?) and apple juice and water.

Oh!  The grocery experience.  So Bill is shopping for us and bags up some Brussels sprouts.  I comment that it was cool that he'd found organic sprouts, to which he replies, "no, they're not organic, do they need to be?", to which I reply, "well, yes".  So we decide to make a second trip to Whole Foods to find them.  This is no small event, as he HATES going to more than one store for groceries.  In the juice aisle I find the Dominick's version of organic apple juice and take a look at the ingredient list...first ingredient - water.  Second ingredient - Apple juice from concentrate.  The juice I've been drinking has come from Whole Foods, and has (or so I thought) apples as the first ingredient, so we decide to wait and buy the juice at Whole Foods since we're going there anyway.  The end of the story?  There are NO organic Brussels sprouts at Whole Foods and the helpful produce man says he's never seen them as an organic food.  The apple juice that I've been drinking, upon closer inspection, is made up of the same ingredients as the Dominick's version, just worded differently (and costs a dollar more).  I leave the store with my inorganic sprouts, some more organic broccoli, and my wasted-dollar apple juice.  :-(  We don't typically buy organic foods because they're beyond what our budget will bear, and today's antics have not left me feeling like this change is one that will be sustained post-cleanse.

I took my daily stats today, though I got to it later than usual.  As of 10:30 am, here's where I was:

Weight: 182.0 (down 1.3 from day 1)
% fat: 34.5 (up 0.5 from day 1)
BMI: 29.4 (down 0.1 from day 1)

So there's some fluctuation happening, clearly.  I'm thinking, as of right now, that a lot of this has to do with my system struggling to find equilibrium with all the changes I'm putting it through.  I think I'll keep doing the daily checks for a week or so after I'm done with the cleanse to see how long it takes for things to level off.  I've long been interested in the natural shifts in my weight from day to day or even from morning to night, so this will probably keep me entertained for a while.  I won't likely subject the world to my tracking, as I can't imagine it being compelling to anyone outside myself on such a micro level.

I'm still waiting for The Difference to present itself.  I did get to a hungry place today.  I had my first shake at 7:30, then my first apple at 11 am.  My day got away from me and I wasn't able to access food again until 3 pm.  Yeah, by then I was hungry.  I had my 2nd shake AND an apple.  I don't know if I'll have found hunger again by the time we sit down to eat, but it was good to know my body is still/again capable of the sensation.

I'm posting early so I can not worry about the blog during Shabbat - more from me after the sun sets tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment