Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Moving with Confidence

"Experienced travelers move with confidence..." - this mantra greeted me at Midway Airport on my way to and from Las Vegas this week.  Their intended message was about international travel, but for me this became something of a theme as I did all the people-watching I could during our vacation.

We stumbled into a portion of the Miss USA pageant when we visited the pool at our hotel.  The contestants were all in one section of the pool, surrounded by camera men, frolicking away as part of a contest segment (the girls had to use a kickboard and motor around one small portion of the pool).  While not competing the rest of the girls were on deck, jumping and cheering on their Miss USA sisters.  This meant we had 50 model-quality co-eds on display. In the rest of the pool area there were "regular" people - men and women (no children since this was the 21+ pool) sunbathing, playing in the water, and watching the Miss USA ladies.

There were a lot of bikinis.  A lot.  I felt a bit odd in my one-piece bathing suit, especially because the bikinis I was seeing were on all sorts of bodies.  I don't think of myself as having a "bikini body", even after seeing the meme roaming around Facebook telling me that the only thing I need to do to get a bikini body is to put a bikini on my body.

What I realized was this: when a woman carried herself confidently, she was beautiful...period.  I saw this from women of all ages, shapes, and sizes.

The meme is wrong.  In order to have a bikini body I need to do 2 things...put a bikini on my body AND move with confidence.  Until I can feel comfortable and confident while wearing it I won't be able to pull off the look.  It's the confidence we need to focus on - not the abs, butt, thighs, and breasts we get so caught up in stressing about.  It was inspiring to see the regular women rocking their bikinis.  Absolutely inspiring.

My goal for Summer 2014 is to be bikini ready from the INSIDE.  Will you join me - confidently - poolside?

No comments:

Post a Comment