Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Lights, Camera, ACTION!

Two months ago, at our monthly Founding Moms meetup, I set myself a task: Figure out the technical logistics necessary to record a video for the studio.  I'd been thinking about making a video for a while, and even have toyed with having classes available via video, but felt like it was outside of my abilities.
It's amazing what a bit of accountability can do for you!

I had 4 weeks to have something figured out, so I set down to it...

I learned that my iPhone 4S would be enough of a video camera to meet my needs but that my old laptop was not up to the challenge of editing video.  I also realized, after trying my hand at getting some footage recorded, that a tripod of some sort was important.  One week in towards my deadline I invested in a new laptop, access to One to One training (thanks, Apple financing), and a little tripod.

With the help and patience of the ladies of the studio I was able to record several video clips of classes. These provided a lot of good learning opportunities with my Apple Geniuses at Old Orchard, though a lot of what I recorded ended up on the virtual cutting-room floor.

1 week to go and I landed on A Vision for the video...a vision that was impossible to realize with iMovie.  Of course, right?  Back to the drawing room I went but with a clearer idea of what was and wasn't possible.  The good news?  I had something to show at the follow-up Founding Moms meeting. I had met and exceeded my initial goal, but I was eager to have a finished product to share at the next meeting.

Our group meets again on Monday, one week earlier than normal, and I'm pleased to report I have a completed video to share!  What you see here is the video made in iMovie, with a soundtrack I created in GarageBand.
I've learned a ton about lighting, sound, fade ins/outs, titles, color matching, and more.  And I understand why people pay good money to have someone make a video for them - this takes a lot of work!

This is, hopefully, the first of many YouTube shares.  Next up...a practice video for our "Flash Mob" song for Custer Street Fair.  Yes, I'm hooked on the magic of video creation.

Stay tuned (and subscribe to my channel)!

No comments:

Post a Comment