Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Why I Dance

This month has had a theme for me...time and time again I find myself addressing the question of Why I Dance, so it seems right to do so here, too.

When I first found bellydance I was looking for a tool - something I could add to my doula bag of tricks.  I wasn't looking for something to change my life or fix anything or a vehicle for change in the world, but that's what I found.

Changed My Life

8 Elements = Family
Going from one class a week, to two classes a week, to teaching 6-week workshops, to developing a weekly class,  to choreographing with a partner, to directing a student troupe, to developing additional classes, to opening the studio, to pursuing 8 Elements certification, to choreographing on my own, to developing the 100Days project - Bellydance has become a central part of my everyday life.  With that transition has come a greater understanding of myself as a physical being, and the realization that I am (and forever will be) an artist.  

Fixed Things

Zahara Fusion at Streets Alive
image by Maike's Marvels
Through bellydance I have found my way to accepting and seeing beauty in the physical form regardless of what form that takes.  Seeing women of all shapes and sizes dancing is so powerful.  I am proud to say that I am the closest I have ever been to accepting my own body without apology.  Bellydance has also been a big part in my recovery process, both physically and psychologically, over the past decade.  I would not be who I am today without it.


Changing the World

image by Karen Kring
When I taught a group of brand new dancers this week I shared part of why I dance bare-bellied.  I told them that we, as a society, are so unused to seeing things that are real.  When I get on stage showing my belly - flesh, fat, stretch marks, and all - I am embodying the motto of my student troupe: Real Women, Dancing for Joy.  Through being myself and teaching women and girls of all ages and backgrounds I'm participating in a mini-revolution.  And that just might change the world.





I hope you all find your bellydance, whatever it may be, and discover the thing that will change your life, fix what ails you, and helps you change the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment