Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Month of Me

September was both the fastest and longest month I've seen go by in a while.  Fast because ohmygoshhowisitoctoberalready!  Slow because, what with a whole bunch of changes at home and work, some planned and some unplanned, we sometimes felt like we were slogging through the days.  In all of the chaos and busy-ness, I found that my personal dance practice had gotten lost.

Remember back in March of 2013 when I had the fabulous experience of going to Portland, OR for Rachel Brice's 8 Elements Initiation?  It was a wonderful week away immersed in dance, and I came home charged and ready to focus on bellydance and creativity and self-expression.

Then life happened.  It was ever so easy for me to reschedule my dance practice sessions in favor of doing something for the studio, or subbing a class, or getting a kid from point A to B, or...or...or...  Before I knew it my practice schedule disappeared.  My body noticed the difference right away, but it took a while for my brain to catch up, and even longer for me to come up with a strategy to fix the oversight.

I know this happens for you, too.  Life gets in the way of whatever you're doing for yourself - all those other people and things are so very important, and it's so much easier to focus on them then on yourself.

Let's declare October the Month of Me (not me, Malik, but Me, you).  We'll observe by taking time for ourselves on a daily basis.  Yes, daily.  That might mean something "big" like leaving the house to take a class, or something small like sitting for 5 minutes in between tasks.  If we forget ourselves in the shuffle, who will remember us?  

I am making these commitments to myself for the month of October...the Month of Me:
* Daily yoga practice (20 minutes)
* Twice Weekly personal dance practice (one with Zills, one without)
* Weekly friend time (outside of the studio)
* Weekly date night with Bill

Share your Month of Me commitments as a comment and we'll cheer each other on!

No comments:

Post a Comment