Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Meet Donna - A Stories from the Studio post



Have I mentioned that we love our students here at the studio?  We have collected an awesome group of women and families who attend - and teach - classes and workshops here and want you to get to know them a bit!  The Stories from the Studio posts will feature a student or teacher - get to know our wonderful community before you get here!

Donna and Husband


Meet Donna - Evanston resident, graduate student, married mom of two small children, and a regular in our Pilates Mat classes.  She and her family have been coming to the studio in one way or another since our first year (2010) - first with her toddler, then wearing her second child, and now on her own.  With her busy schedule it's great that she makes it into the studio once or twice a week!



How have you changed/benefited since finding Hip Circle Studio?  
Not just the weight loss but my clothes fit better and my core feels tighter.  I find my posture has become much improved and I’m in less back and shoulder pain.  I’m less stressed, as well. 
What is something you’ve found at the studio that you haven’t found elsewhere/what makes the studio special to you? 
Donna with her kidsI really think that it’s all about the community – I find a female community that is nonjudgmental and supportive even though there aren’t too many words being exchanged.  I love the warmth that I feel every time I am in class and think the world of Malik, too!  It has that family feel of a small business and local support.  It’s a wonderful resource for a woman in any stage in her life whether she’s single or committed/married or pregnant or has children or doesn’t.  There are so many wonderful workshops – like the name “Hip Circle” says – it truly is a circle that encompasses all the different stages of a woman’s life. 
What else should people know about the studio? 
It’s more than just classes that they offer – they offer a great community and resources.  They’re also very involved in the City of Evanston, as well!  Wait for the summer when there is Pilates in the park! 
Do you have a favorite instructor?  Who and Why? 
My favorite instructor is Malik because of how much I admire her – she definitely has a lot on her plate and is able to juggle most of it but also takes the time for her family and herself.  She gives off this great sense of inner knowing. 
Donna in Pilates 
What else should people know about you? 
I’m a busy woman.  It’s hard for me to say no so I juggle working full-time, helping to run my husband’s acupuncture practice, mother my two young children including being the assistant coach to my son’s AYSO team and taking both of them to their music lessons.  I’m also a part-time graduate student who can’t help but also sit on the board of directors for two non-profits, Programming Co-Chair for The Parent Circle here in Evanston, and volunteer for the City of Evanston Minority/Women/Evanston Business committee, as well.  To help me stay focused, I have my weekly Pilates class with Malik to keep me healthy mentally and physically.
Donna and family with Malik at the studio

No comments:

Post a Comment