Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Getting Girls Hooked on Fitness

I haven't always been active.  In fact, if you'd told me in my twenties that I'd be making a living as a dance and fitness instructor I'd have laughed (and that would have been my workout for the day).  In my teens my activity was limited to whatever they had me doing in gym.  In my youth I did the requisite dance classes, and spent a fair number of years taking skating lessons, but I was never active outside of these organized classes.  What were the adults in my life doing?  A lot of sitting and driving. Even the teachers of the active classes I took did more directing than demonstrating.  Did this set me up for being a sedentary, unhealthily overweight adult?  Maybe...

One of the things that pushed me to open the studio was the desire to have a space where women could bring their girls to share workouts and dance classes.  Let girls stand, dance, and sweat next to women of all ages, shapes, and sizes to encourage an active lifestyle and positive self-esteem.

We have to do something to change how the next generation looks at fitness.

How many of us struggle with keeping our own health and wellness at the top of our to-do lists each week?  I have to believe that giving our daughters regular practice working out - in the company of our generation - will carry over into adulthood.  Think of it: if going to workout is a treat you get after completing that day's homework, how does that change your relationship with fitness?  How about the benefits of being able to get your workout in while spending quality time with your daughter?  This is a win-win scenario that has the power to change the world!

Will it work?  I think it already is...




No comments:

Post a Comment